I've been playing a bunch of different games this week, but I haven't finished any so I don't want to do full writeups. So, in the absence of anything worth saying, here's a load of crap that's probably best ignored.
Fallout: New Vegas
Not impressed with this game at all. If you're reading this, I'm sure you've heard all about the numerous bugs and glitches that plague this game. I saw a lot of bugs, but they didn't bother me - until I got an actual game-breaking bug that means I can't complete the game. I don't want to start again, and my only non-ruined save is from maybe 8 hours ago so I don't really want to go back down that many levels.
Even without the bugs, the game isn't a patch on Fallout 3. The main story arc seems to make a lot more sense, but aside from the main plot it's a definite step down. What I liked about Fallout 3 was that it was crammed with interesting things to explore; wandering the wasteland you would barely go 5 minutes without finding a random dungeon, or a small town plagued by vampires, or a lunatic sitting on a pile of explosives ready to blow you up as soon as he sees you. In New Vegas, there's nothing aside from quest-related locations, at least not that I found in the 15-20 hours I played. There's no incentive to explore, unless you really like abandoned shacks, since doing the quests will take you everywhere anyway - and exploration was the best part of Fallout 3.
Still, VATS is only slightly buggy. I never get tired of VATS.
God of War Collection
This is brilliant. I somehow missed the God of War franchise the first time round, but I played 3 briefly and was blown away - I would have got that but I didn't want to have no clue what was going on. I'm still on the first one, maybe 5 hours in (I can't kill Cerberus...), but it's a blast. It's clearly last-gen, despite the new HD graphics, but it's such a fun, well-polished game that it doesn't really matter. One thing that's weird is that they redid the graphics for the game, but not the cutscenes - it makes for some really jarring transitions. But aside from that, it's above and beyond most current-gen games.
Dead Rising 2
I was having problems with this game - I love it now. It's a question of getting into the Dead Rising mindset...I still haven't touched the main storyline since I got stuck, and I've gone from level (I think)15 to 35 just exploring and messing around - and I've still only seen maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of the mall. Of course, I've been everywhere, but I haven't actually stopped to check most of it out. I'm going to do a no-survivor-rescue, no-psychopath playthrough and just try and see everything.
This is why I no longer give a shit about the main storyline:
Little Big Planet
I got this to play with my girlfriend, since she's nearly finished Heavy Rain, and the idea of watching her try to play any of the other games I own is painful.
It's not too bad, lots of customisation options and cutesy graphics. It's kind of dull though - if it was any more laid back it would be in a coma. It's ok to play for an hour or so, but I wouldn't sit down for a bit LBP session like I would with...well, pretty much any other game, now that I think about it.
So, that's my little roundup of videogame thoughts for the week. It's not much, but there seems to be a vacuum of content on here at the moment so something is better than nothing I guess.
I think you're right on the Fallout:New Vegas front. I've been playing for about 20 hours and have just got to the Strip and been ambushed by Benny.
ReplyDeleteI've been playing through on hardcore mode, and I think the innovation is fantastic, really enjoy how unforgiving it is, but I've found the Mojave wasteland a little sparse both in terms of enemies and places to explore. I've found a few locations which are just the exterior of building with a boarded-up door, essentially a piece of filler rather than something to engage with.
Of course, it's still a great game, it's just not as good as Fallout 3. Fallout 3 had a certain charm which is missing from New Vegas which I can't put my finger on - it might be something as simple as the lack of GNR, or the lack of an underground maze, or maybe the lack of humour - it's difficult to say.
With a lot of New Vegas' scenery being recycled from Fallout 3, it doesn't feel as fresh as it could, and makes me feel a little short changed. This would have made an excellent DLC for Fallout 3 as the game just doesn't have the same vastness or attention to detail. They should have done what they did with the Shivering Isles add-on for Oblivion (a different and huge game map, based in the same world).
Like you, I love VATS and wish they'd include it in other games. Bring on Fallout 4, and Elder Scrolls 5!
I agree, this would have been a lot easier to swallow as a DLC, or even a traditional expansion pack - but as a full-price, standalone release it's seriously lacking in quality.
ReplyDeleteokay, I've just *experienced* Fisto! New Vegas has stolen my heart
ReplyDelete