Tuesday, 26 October 2010

Top 10 animated comedies of all time (that you probably haven’t seen). Number 10: Dr Katz - Professional Therapist

‘Squigglevision: the bane of epileptics everywhere’ – that could easily be the tagline to Dr Katz. With its unique wobbly aesthetic, improvise dialogued and the showcasing of a number of hitherto untapped comic talent, Dr Katz stands as one of the most underrated animated comedies of all-time.
The show details the lives of the Katz family: a divorced father and his hapless son Ben as they plough through life. Ben is lazy, fat, and is somewhat reminiscent of Ignatius Riley from A Confederacy of Dunces (if a little more cheerful and laid back). Through all his flaws, the relationship between Ben and his father is warm and light-hearted. With episodes revolving around the highs of Ben’s life (such as the episode he didn’t quite witness a crime, or when he considers maybe breeding pot-bellied pigs for a living), and his obsession with his father’s receptionist, Laura. Laura is venomous, sarcastic and bitchy, and comes out with some of the best lines in the show
As this is a show about a therapist, it would not complete without therapy. The basic premise of the therapy session was to allow stand-up comics to perform their material in the context of an episodic show. On the whole, this worked really well, but an episode could be rendered almost unwatchable if the comedian was particularly bad or annoying, such as Gilbert Godfrey. The formula worked because it combined the familiarity of the staple characters and their storylines with fresh voices and perspectives in every episode.
Dr Katz was pretty big in America and won many awards. In the UK they used to show it on ITV2 in the early hours of the morning. If you missed it, I highly recommend giving it a go.





1 comment:

  1. I used to love Dr Katz...my favourite line from that show was 'My wife and I agreed that we could pick one other person it was ok to sleep with...she picked Brad Pitt, I picked the babysitter. And *I won*, and she can't accept it". Always stuck in my head for some reason.

    Andyway, I'm hoping Robin will be at number 1 ;)

    ReplyDelete